Sunday 20 October 2013

1 Month.



It has been 1 month since I came to university of Sussex. I found that the course is getting more complicated than the beginning, well I should put more effort on it. 

We learned management theories this week. First of all, the function of management,which  includes planning,organizing,leading and controlling. Then comes with Frederick Taylor, the  father of scientific management, his theory is based on efficiency and Productivity. I did a little  research on him and it was impressed. Specially his experience at Bethlehem steel company.  I am agree with him at some point, for instance waste minimized - time, materials, money etc. 

But he pointed out that there is a best person to do the job, the others follows. I was wondering is it the best way to organized? Best personsay it, the others just follows? I mean ,What if the best personmade mistake? Team or group  needs opinion in order to achieve the objectives, I think the PERFECT way only exist if there are enough debate and argument before it comes  out. Maybe I misunderstanding the theory, I will do more research on him later on.

After Taylor, Rob introduced Max Weber, the theory of Bureaucracy. Actually I do think that a  organization needs rules but at some point  minimal employee discretion may become a  disadvantage. Then, Henri Fayol, which is fundamental Management Principles. The division  of labour, fair remuneration and centralization are quite vital. What is more, about discipline,  which refers to every employees have to obey the rules, he thinks good discipline leads to  effective leadership.

Besides, I found something interesting while I am doing the research. A woman called Mary  Parker Follett, she is the pioneer in organization theory and organization behavior. Her life was a  legend.  I think I will do more research on her as well.

By the way, our presentation on Google is quite nice, I will keep carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment